budget around 12k... 9 months ago
Knowledge Junction:Answered in 93 mins
Greetings Dr. Shridhar,
This would probably be a classic example of 'Heart' v/s 'Head' and also, parallely, 'India' v/s 'China' - maybe !
We are sure you have witnessed both of them on paper and hence this question here.
They are quite evenly matched on most aspects, a few differences here and there which would only matter to an enthusiast or a nit-picker.
Let's break it down to things that really matter:
Advantage: RedMi Note 4
- Stellar battery life.
- Relatively popular and known brand of some repute (maybe ill, at times - (read occassionally) - but otherwise quite popular
- Good camera
- MIUI 8 - clean, easy to use
Advantage: Smartron SRT phone
- Emotional value - to some fans for sure
- Latest mid-range CPU, GPU and Chipset
- Quick-charge technology
- USB Type C port - reversible, more with the times
- 2 years warranty! (Whether those service centres will be accessible after 18 months, is a different story)
- Latest Android OS out of the box - 7.1.1
- Guaranteed upgrade to Android 'O' (when? Not specified)
- NFC - useful to make payments at times
Disadvatages: RedMi Note 4
- The proverbial Chinese brand, although build quality is promising, speculation about apps leaking data still continue to haunt us.
- Service Centres are not the best
- Long term reliability - beyond 18 months, has proven to be a dicey proposition in our experience
Disadvatages: Smartron SRT phone
- A lot of 'unknowns'. Service. Availability. Parts. Performance. Updates
Therefore we feel, someone thinking with their heart would be inclined to try this one, as opposed to someone trying to take a more rational approach would stick to the more popular RedMi Note 4.
Personally, our team would be divided between the two. I know for a fact atleast a few members of the team who would risk the SRT phone, if nothing, just for bragging rights and maybe a 'collector's item' - like the Fiat Palio S10 - but then, not all of us are seeking those kind of thrills, right?
The good thing about e-commerce is their return policies. One can always try ordering the phone from Flipkart - and if the moment you hold it - you feel it's not for you - well, clcik the return button and immediately pick up the RMN4.
Hope this helps!
We would love to hear about your purchase and experience about a month after that.
All the Best!
Hope the phone turns out to be a good birthday buy.